Frequently Asked Questions
At My Tax Back, we get a lot of questions each day about anything and everything tax related. We have compiled answers to the frequently asked questions we receive every day. If you have a question about tax that isn't answered below, feel free Contact us at any time.
How do I make a claim?
What are your fees?
It is free to submit a claim. You are not required to make any upfront payment or provide bank details. If we are successful in recovering a refund for you, we will charge a fee of 10% (+VAT) of any refund we obtain for you, subject to a minimum fee of €24 (+VAT). Where the refund does not cover our minimum fee, there will be no additional charges to pay.
What does the registration process involve?
- You fill out our online Application form which grants us permission to act as your tax agent
- My Tax Back log on to revenue and review your details
- Advise you of any other credits / flat rate expenses that can be applied for
- If you are married and your spouse is the ‘Assessible Spouse’ they will also have to sign up to authorise us to access both accounts
- If you have children, we may also require their birth date & PPS number for certain tax credits
- Upload any medical expenses of which you will receive a return of up to 40% from Revenue either for yourself or any dependants depending on the amount of tax that you have paid in the respective year / s
- Update the payment details on your account with Revenue to our bank account details
- Once we have updated your account based on the information that you provide – Revenue then take up to 3 weeks to process the claim and issue the Statement of Liability
- Please note that once we have processed your claim – if you delink us as your agent – the payment will still be made into our account as we submitted the claim
- Once we receive the payment – we will issue the refund to you within 3 – 5 business days by either bank transfer or cheque depending on your preference.
How long does the process take?
- Most claims are completed within 2 weeks, but during busy times or for more complex claims, it may take a little bit longer.
- Once we have updated your account based on the information that you provide – Revenue then can take up to 3 weeks to process the claim and issue the Statement of Liability, but this is usually done within 5 working days
- Once we receive the payment – we will issue the refund to you within 5 business days by either bank transfer or cheque depending on your preference.
Will I receive any correspondence from Revenue directly, after I have signed up with My Tax Back?
Yes – Revenue will contact you twice.
The first letter will be advising you that we are now assigned as your Tax Agent – no need to panic, this is just standard procedure.
The second letter will be confirming the amount of Refund due to you, and a confirmation of the bank account details that the monies will be paid into. The bank account ending in 1062, is our Client Account, and this letter is a confirmation of such.
How many years can I claim back?
You can claim a tax refund for the last 4 tax years.
How will I get paid?
You have two payment options when you sign up with My Tax Back. We can send you your tax refund via bank transfer or by cheque, just let us know your preference.
Do I need to register each year?
If you are an existing customer, then there is no need to re-register. If we haven’t been in touch yet, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org We will automatically review your tax records annually. Do keep us up to date with regards to any changes in your circumstances, so that we can update our records, and maximise any refund that may be due to you.
What can I claim back?
Tax refunds can result from an overpayment of USC and Income Tax. You may also be able to claim tax back on some expenses, such as tuition fees, dental or medical expenses. If your personal circumstances have changed, for example you got married or divorced it is also important to let us check if you are due tax back. Please check out our ‘What can I claim for ‘page for more information.
Can I make a tax claim if I have left Ireland?
If you have worked and paid tax in Ireland within the last 4 years, then you are still eligible to claim.
Who is eligible for tax back?
Everyone who is in the PAYE system could be eligible for tax back. At My Tax Back, 3 out of 4 of our clients have been found eligible for a tax refund.
I am jointly assessed with my spouse, do we both need to register?
Yes, as we must have the Assessable Spouse, within your tax relationship, to be a client of My Tax Back in order to secure a refund for you.
My spouse has received an update on their review, but I haven’t heard anything back?
We will generally communicate with the Assessable Spouse, so if you are jointly assessed the same review update will apply to you both.
We are married, so who will receive the payment?
We generally make the amount payable to the Assessable Spouse. If you wish to change this please let us know when we request payment details from yourselves. Please note that we will not request your bank details until we have confirmed your tax refund from Revenue.
Who can I claim medical expenses for?
You can claim tax back on the cost of health expenses for yourself or a family member or any individual, as long as you paid for them.
I have all my medical receipts for the past 4 years; can I get anything back on these?
Expenses such as GP visits, medication, A&E visits, minor procedures and surgeries, are eligible, and could be worth up to 40% back to you. Simply forward copies of your receipts, or prescription claim forms to email@example.com and we will do the rest for you. If you have already claimed for your medical via your health insurance, please forward copy of the claim forms.
Each month I am contributing to my own pension and believe that I am eligible for an additional tax credit. Is this true?
Yes, and if you simply send us copies of your Annual Pension Statement, detailing your monthly contributions, we will assess the benefit to you, and secure any refund due